Friday, October 23, 2009

Empathetic Otis

Otis is an emotional little boy. He has a wide array of expressive faces and sounds that he uses to communicate how he is feeling. Sometimes it's disgust (usually when he spots a speck of dirt on his clothing), sometimes joy (at the sight of a tool, truck or motorbike), sometimes sadness (when I leave him, or when he hurts himself).

I didn't realise that he had started to grasp the concept of empathy, though. Today we were watching Charlotte's Web (the original animated classic, a favourite of mine) - specifically, the scene where Wilbur, confronted by his own mortality, sobs "I don't wanna die", over and over. It is a very sad moment. Still, I was stunned when Otis began sobbing along with Wilbur, burying his head into my chest, shaking, tears streaming...! Is it really possible he understood how Wilbur was feeling? Or was it something completely unrelated that I somehow missed that was to blame for the sudden onset of raw emotion?

No comments: