Thursday, March 6, 2008

Celebrity babies...

I loved being pregnant "with" Nicole Richie and Christina Aguilera. Their babies were due around the same time as Otis, and came on the 11th and 12th respectively. I was surprised to hear that Nicole actually laboured! She mentions having "pushed" for 10 minutes in the article in this week's OK. Christina, of course, had a c-section, as she didn't want any "surprises". How odd.

The media's portrayal of these women as super "moms" really gets my goat. Nicole talks about not having the time to exercise because she's with little Harlow 24/7. Yeah right! They've each already been papped on numerous occasions walking the red carpet sans baby. They've no idea what it's like for us plebs, they've no idea about the true, exhausting-yet-exhilerating experience of mothering. I don't believe they deserve the title of mother, not when they have 24 hour help on hand. It's in those hell-on-earth moments, those times when your baby cries incessantly and it is up to you and ONLY you to settle him/her that you discover what mothering is all about. And when you finally get those little cries to cease, that's when the joy kicks in. It's such a rollercoaster, one moment you feel like such a failure, the next you feel such pride. So whilst I may be coming off like a jealous bitch, the truth is I relish the fact that Otis is my responsibility around the clock.

He's been great today! I managed to send him off to sleep IN HIS BED in under 15 minutes today! Yay! He's been asleep for an hour so far... On his tummy, which I know isn't the safest option, but he's close by.

No comments: