Thursday, April 29, 2010

The crazy crawling Whirly Girl...

Peggy is now commando-ing all over the place. I am so shocked at how early she started to mobilise. Her dear big brother did not manage to start pulling himself along until he was 9 months old... I recall Phil doing "crawl training" with him, trying to entice him into action with toys and treats, silently and shamefully bemoaning his ineptitude. He got there, of course, and 9 months is still well within the realms of normal, but he was certainly a little on the slow side. In fact, he was a little bit behind when it came to nearly all the physical milestones. I never cared, I am no athlete, and I have always placed more emphasis on his speech and creativity.

So you can understand my surprise when Girly Whirly started screeching in frustration when a toy or forbidden non-toy item was placed just out of her reach, at only 5 months of age. And then she started to pull herself along. There was grunting and gasping, a bit of sweat along the brow, and, slowly, but surely she got there, millimetreby millimetre.

She's fairly adept at it now. Sometimes does a slow shuffle, sometimes a large, lunging leap. Just today she's started to rise up on all fours. I think "proper" crawling is only days or weeks away.

6 months on Sunday! My beautiful, wilful Whirly Girl. I love you my darling.

No comments: