Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Responses to my girly's adventures on two feet...

People are funny. The people that love Peggy, or in fact, those who are secure enough in themselves to see her walking as cute and interesting rather than some sort of threat, just, very simply, "ooh" and "aah" over her endeavours as a two-footed pre-toddler.

Others, who obviously see my very awe-fuelled mention of it as inciting competition - something I've never been one to enter into... Otis was oddly early with any milestones and I never felt the need to defend this - immediately respond with "Oh, she's just keeping up with Otis". Funnily, these people are always mothers of one!

I don't think Peggy's early rolling, crawling, walking etc etc makes her smarter or more permanently physically capable than others. In fact, I think these things level out as babies get older - I know of many kids who did these things later and have grown into being particularly adept at the physical stuff (my niece Isla springs to mind, she's wonderful with a soccer ball). I also don't think it's about being the second sibling - I am pretty sure none of my siblings walked this early, and all four of them had me, at least, to chase after (not that I have ever been a fast runner!). I personally believe it is personality-driven. Peggy has had a stubborn, determined, feisty spirit from birth, and it is this desperation to move and grab and get that has made her the funny, ten-month-old toothless walker she is today!

No comments: