Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Speak up, speak up!!

Hmmm... Since people in my life started having babies, I have come to realise that I am not alone in the struggles I face on a daily basis. Yes, to the outside world they are all happy, happy, joy, joy too, but I know what goes on behind closed doors, and it bears an eerie resemblance to what goes on here.

I just wish mothers would speak up more about how hard it is to be a mum! Please, I beg of you, stop pretending. It is so wrong, all this pretence and posturing. All it does it make other women feel like abject failures.

I am so glad I finally worked this out. My new enlightened state is fantastic! I know, now, that most babies spend at least some of the night in their mummys' beds, that everyone, no matter how intelligent/confident/maternal/capable finds some aspects of mothering "challenging" (read, impossible, and that things get better.

Speaking of getting better, Otis slept 8-2 in his cot last night!!? This is totally unprecedented.

He's been eating some yummy food of late. Last night I pureed canellini beans, chicken thighs pan-fried with garlic, spinach from our potted garden, and olive oil, and he couldn't get enough. He's also loving a coconut and vanilla custard I'm making. Here's the recipe for anyone interested:

Combine 1 tsp vanilla essence, 1 1/2 tsp caster sugar, 3 tsp dessicated coconut, 5 heaped tsp rice flour/ground rice and 300ml milk in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until it reaches the desired consistency. This does Otis for 3 nights of dessert!

No comments: