Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A break... Finally!

Grammy has Peggy for the DAY.

It feels so good. I don't miss her. Otis does though, he keeps saying "Baaayby" and making an inquisitive, slightly sorrowful face.

I've been reading Robin Barker's Baby Love. Great, great book. I referred to it often when Otis was young. She dispenses advice in a calm, no-nonsense fashion, and doesn't have an obvious agenda. She provides a variety of options, explains the pros and cons of each, and gives parents freedom to follow their own instincts. It's much less condescending, much less extreme, much less militant than many of the other books.

She says, of babies who cry excessively, that most of the time there is no medical reason for it, and that the anxiety and tension and irritability usually resolves itself with time. I am sure that this is what will happen with Peggy. I will simply have to survive the next couple of months and try to remain optimistic. I will try, each day, to report one positive thing about my beautiful baby girl, one small moment, one minor fact, that will pull me through and remind me how lucky I am to have her, even though she screams from about midday until bedtime, every single day.

I do just love her, her lovely, thoughtful, pretty little face, her dark eyes, her thick and fluffy hair that is flecked with gold and reaches a few centimetres below her neck.

No comments: